FAQ – Students

Need any help?

Do you have a question about your application for a residence permit, duplicate or refund? On this page you will find the answer to most questions. Is your question not listed? Please feel free to contact us. We can be reached by phone during our office hours. You can also email us. For questions about your application, always mention the application number and FMSCRV number.


Foreign nationals or fellow citizens are eligible for a residence permit or a Legal Declaration for study. They are students who are admitted to a full-time study program at a university, college or private educational institution recognized by the government.

The children of foreign nationals who already have a valid residence permit here due to family reunification in the country of Curaçao do not need to apply for a temporary residence permit for study purposes.

The first temporary residence permit as well as the renewal of the permit are issued for a period of 1 year.

The maximum duration of stay is equal to the maximum diploma period that applies to the study in question, possibly increased by an extra term of a maximum of 1 year to complete the study.

A foreign national who obtains a permit for the purpose of studying does not build up a right of residence.

However, on the basis of article 8, paragraph 2 LTU, students are allowed to stay as a tourist for 3 months pending the granting of the temporary residence permit. If after 3 months of a tourist stay, the permit for temporary residence with the purpose of study has not been granted, the admission of the student by operation of the law will lapse and the student must still leave the island. The student can only return once the permit has been granted.

In addition to the general conditions of revocation (see General questions, question 7), the specific revocation grounds for this category are as follows.

  1. if a student works next to his study, except for the necessary internship 
  2. if the student no longer continues/ends his study

No. Students can only apply for a work permit at SOAW if they wish to enter the employment world when they have completed or interrupted their studies. He must apply for a permit with the purpose of employment after that.

For a change of educational institution, you have to request a change of the restriction under which the permit is granted. The change is assessed under the special admission requirements.

Your question

Your answer or question is not in the FAQ listing? Then you can submit your question below.

    * fields are required

    Volg ons


    The Ministry of Justice is responsible for publishing information on this website. The information has been collected with care and accuracy. The Ministry of Justice does its utmost to keep the information as up-to-date as possible. However, no rights may be derived from this website. This website is managed by the Ministry of Justice. The information on this website may be shared, provided the source is acknowledged.