Van rechtswege

Van Rechtswege

Who can submit an application for a Declaration Van Rechtswege?

Declaration Van Rechtswege can be divided in different categories.

These are:

  • Special categories
    This includes:
  • Persons who have been deployed and who are employed by the government
  • Professional Consuls, Professional Consular Officers and Consular Staff 
  • Military personnel and their families as long as they are stationed here 

For family members of persons who fall under the special categories, an application must be submitted under article 3 letter G of the LTU.

  • Dutch (nationality)
    This includes adult and their family members as long as they possess the Dutch nationality. For the adult an application must be submitted for a Declaration Van Rechtswege under letter F. For minor children an application must be submitted under letter H.
  • Americans
    On December 15, 2014, the Common Court ruled on article 3 of the Protocol to the Dutch-American treaty on friendship, trade and shipping. This means that the admission of Americans equals as people with Dutch nationality.


Before submitting the application, make sure you have collected all the requirements. If so, the application can be submitted. All requirements must be scanned in PDF format. Click here to submit the application. 


After the application has been submitted, the Admission Office has 4 months to take a decision on your application. After the decision is ready, it will be e-mailed to you.

If you have received a positive decision, you must make an appointment to receive the Declaration van Rechtswege. Click here to make the appointment.

If you have received a negative decision, then you have 6 weeks to file a notice of objection. The notice of objection must be e-mailed to

Download Files


The Ministry of Justice is responsible for publishing information on this website. The information has been collected with care and accuracy. The Ministry of Justice does its utmost to keep the information as up-to-date as possible. However, no rights may be derived from this website. This website is managed by the Ministry of Justice. The information on this website may be shared, provided the source is acknowledged.